This article explains how to get to Nusa Penida island from Bali, which port to choose in Bali and in Nusa Penida, how to choose the best fast boat to go to Nusa Penida. You will also find all the time tables and the fair prices. It is part of a series of articles giving practical information about Nusa Penida island.
There are now 23 fastboat companies that connect Bali and Nusa Penida daily. And there is a choice between 40 fast boats to get to Nusa Penida every day. It takes about 30 minutes to go to Nusa Penida from Sanur and only 15 minutes from Kusamba, near Padang Bai. Some companies serve the port of Toyapakeh in Nusa Penida, others the port of Sampalan. Safety is well maintained on board and I’ve never heard of a major incident. Life jackets are indeed available on board all boats. During low season it is better to check the timetables, because some boats may be canceled.
Be careful, during this period of covid-19 coronavirus crisis, only a few speed boat companies are operating.
How to get to Nusa Penida during the covid crisis ?
3 fast boat companies are still operating from Sanur to Toyapakeh twice a day. They normally no longer require a rapid test but they will check your temperature. And you will of course need to wear a mask. The boats are not full, unless an important ceremony is held that day in Nusa Penida. But it is better to book the day before and ask the confirmation about the required documents.
Angel Billabong fast cruise
- from Sanur to Toyapakeh : 8.30 am and 4 pm
- Toyapakeh to Sanur : 7.30 am and 3 pm
- +62 81 246 977 996
- +62 81 916 613 717
- from Sanur to Toyapakeh : 7.30 am and 3 pm
- Toyapakeh to Sanur : 7 am and 4.30 pm
- +62 81 246 892 524
- +62 81 338 754 848
Semabu Hills fast Boat
- from Sanur to Toyapakeh : 7.30 am and 1 pm
- Toyapakeh to Sanur : 1.30 pm and 4.30 pm
Angel Billabong and Maruti Express are very reliable. I traveled with Angel Billabong begining of August and I saw Maruti Express leaving Sanur. I have never tried Semabu Hills.
Idola Express seems to operate from Sanur to Sampalan and Gangga Express from Kusamba to Sampalan. The Padang Bai ferry also appears to be working.
How to get to Nusa Penida : which port ?
The fast boat companies have different ports of departure in Bali and ports of arrival at Nusa Penida. This gives you a lot more flexibility. But it also complicates the choice of departure and arrival ports.
The 3 departure ports from Bali
- Sanur Beach (Jalan Hang Tuah) for most companies. There is no pontoon so you have to board from the beach. You drop your shoes in a bin on the beach and you have to board with water up to your knees. It is therefore better to be in short pants. Staff members bring your suitcases on board. You may be surprised to see them handling 3 to 4 suitcases on their head, but I have never seen or heard of a suitcase that has fallen into the water.
- Kusamba, near Padang Bai for some companies that serve Toyapakeh Harbour and Sampalan. Boarding is from a floating pontoon. The duration of the crossing is much shorter (15 minutes).
- Serangan, near the airport, for the company Gogun Express. I did not try this company that shows a single daily connection between Serangan and Nusa Penida on its site, with a departure at 8 am from Serangan and at 5pm from Nusa Penida.
The 3 arrival ports at Nusa Penida
- Toyapakeh (Banjar Nyuh) for most companies.
- Sampalan and next door, Buyuk, for some companies.
How to choose the right port ?
You have to choose your company and your speed boat to go to Nusa Penida island according to where you come from in Bali and where you are going to in Nusa Penida. To make it short if you come from Ubud, Amed, Sidemen the best is to pick up Kusamba as your departure port. But from Sanur, Seminyak, Cangu, choose Sanur Beach.
If you are heading to Sampalan, Buyuk, Ped or Atuh Beach, choose Sampalan as your arrival port. For Ped, Toyapakeh, Crystal Bay, choose Toyapakeh Harbour.
Boarding is much easier in Kusamba because there are floating pontoons. From Sanur you will need to wear short pants because you board from the beach, in shallow water, sometimes in the middle of the waves.
What is the price for a Bali to Nusa Penida ticket?
The 8 fast boat companies that leave from Sanur Beach are located at the same location, at the end of Jalan Hangtuah, which can facilitate the price negotiation. In any case do not pay more than IDR 200,000 per person for one way from Sanur. And IDR 100,000 from Kusamba (unless the transfer to or from the port is included in the price). In Kusamba, Maruti Express and Sekarjaya leave from the same place, Gangga Express a hundred meters away.
Drivers may charge you up to 150,000 IDR for a transfer between Toyapakeh and Sampalan. Another reason to choose the right port of arrival.
There are price reductions for residents with KITAS. The hotels in Penida also generally offer a boat ticket + hotel transfer package which can be interesting.
Get to Nusa Penida : do you need to book ?
Be careful, it may be better to book your trip one day in advance, especially in high season, because the boats are often full. And it is better to arrive with a little advance because the boats leave usually on time. Or even a few minutes before the time … The boats are very recent and the service is very professional. The hotels of Nusa Penida also generally offer a package with boat transfer + car transfer to your hotel in Nusa Penida which can be interesting. The other solution is to go there and take the first boat that offers an available seat and a good price. Or try calling or sending a WhatsApp message to the company.
What to do, where to go in Nusa Penida ?
There is a lot of things to do once you are on the island. It is a paradise for scuba divers, the landscapes are great and there is room for many adventures and tours ! Read also my guide about 15 favorite places to visit in Nusa Penida or go directly to my top 6 places :
- the iconic T-Rex Kelingking Beach
- the amazing Broken Beach & Angel’s Billabong
- Crystal Bay, perfect spot for diving, snorkeling and awesome sunsets.
- Atuh Beach, a wonderful and still off the beaten track beach.
- Warnakali dive center, to dive or to enjoy a 3-meter deep infinity pool at sunset or for dinner.
- Amok sunset bar and restaurant, a cool place to see the sunset with a cocktail during happy hour.
The boat schedules allow you to have a one day tour in Nusa Penida, but I don’t recommend it. You’ll spend most of the day on the road, along with many people, running from one viewpoint to the other. Stay at least one night in one of the many hotels on the island, enjoy a sunset on site. And go snorkeling or diving with the manta rays at Manta Point or swimming at Crystal Bay the next morning !
Get to Nusa Penida : Schedules (sorted out by company)
Here are the companies that connect Bali to Nusa Penida and their schedules. Check the schedules anyway as they change often. With the current schedules the first fast boat Sanur leaves at 7am and the last one at 5.45 pm. For the return to Sanur, the first fast boat leaves Nusa Penida at 6:45 and the last at 5 pm.
From Sanur to Toyapakeh Harbour
Angel Billabong fast cruise
- Boat : Prasi Sentana II
- Sanur to Nusa Penida : 7 am, 7.30 am, 9 am, 2 pm 4.30 pm and 5.30 pm
- Way back to Sanur : 6.45 am, 8 am, 1 pm, 3.30 pm and 4.30 pm
- +62 81 280 500 000
- Boat : Maruti Duta
- Sanur to Nusa Penida : 7.30 am, 8.30 am, 10 am and 4 pm
- Way back to Sanur : 7.30 am, 9 am, 3 pm and 4.30 pm
- Sanur to Nusa Penida : 8 am, 11.15 am, 3.30 pm and 5.45 pm
- Way back to Sanur : 7 am, 9 am, 2.30 pm and 5 pm
- +62 82 147 048 099
- Sanur to Nusa Penida : 8.15 am, 11.15 am, 3.15 pm
- Way back to Sanur : 9.30 am, 1.30 pm, 4.30 pm
- +62 81 338 377 336
- Sanur to Nusa Penida : 8 am, 10.45 am, 3 pm
- Way back to Sanur : 9.15 am, 2.15 pm, 5 pm
- +62 82 339 715 433
- Sanur to Nusa Penida : 8.30 am, 1 pm
- Way back to Sanur : 10 am, 4.30 pm
- +62 85 102 535 049
- Sanur to Nusa Penida : 8.15 am
- Way back to Sanur : 5 pm
- +62 81 238 238 999
- Sanur to Nusa Penida : 8.15 am
- Way back to Sanur : 4.30 pm
- +62 81 353 805 054
Semabu Hills fast Boat
- Sanur (Mertasari) to Nusa Penida : 8.30 am, 4 pm
- Way back to Sanur (Mertasari) : 11 am, 5 pm
From Sanur to Sampalan
- Sanur to Sampalan : 8.15 am, 10.30 am and 5 pm
- Sampalan to Sanur : 7 am, 1 pm and 4 pm
- WhatsApp : +62 81 808 072 488
- email : email@example.com
- Sanur to Sampalan : 8 am, 4 pm
- Sampalan to Sanur : 7.30 am, 3 pm, 5 pm
- +62 85 10010 9999
- Sanur to Sampalan : 8.30 am, 5 pm
- Sampalan to Sanur : 7.30 am, 4 pm
- +62 81 337 442 555
- Sanur to Sampalan : 8 am, 5.30 pm
- Sampalan to Sanur : 7 am, 4.30 pm
- +62 82 2554 44272
From Kusamba to Sampalan
- Kusamba to Sampalan : 7am, 7.30 am, 8 am, 1.15 pm, 2.30 pm and 3.45 pm
- Sampalan to Kusamba : 6.30 am, 7.10 am, 7.30 am, 12.30 pm, 1 pm, 2.15 pm
- Kusamba to Nusa Penida : 6.30 am, 7.30 am, 11 am, 12.30 pm, 4 pm
- Back to Kusamba : 7 am, 11.45 am, 3 pm
- Public price : 100 000 IDR one way ticket
Caspla Bali (soon)
- Pesinggahan to Nusa Penida : 7.30 am and 4.30 am
- Back to Pesinggahan : 7 am and 3.30 am
From Kusamba to Toyapakeh
- Kusamba to Toyapakeh : 8 am, 2 pm, 4.30 pm
- Toyapakeh to Kusamba : 7 am, 1 pm, 3.30 pm
Semabu Hills fast Boat
- Kusamba to Nusa Penida : 7.30 am, 2 pm and 4.30 pm (not operating currently)
- Back to Kusamba : 7 am, 10 am and 4 pm (not operating currently)
Go to Nusa Penida : schedules (sorted out by departure time)
Here are all the departure times from Bali to Nusa Penida :
From Sanur to Toyapakeh
7 am with Angel Billabong Fast Cruise
7.30 am with Maruti Express
7.30 am with Angel Billabong Fast Cruise
8 am with El Rey Junior
8 am with Dwi Manunggal
8.15 am with Gogun Fast Boat
8.15 am with The Angkal Fast Boat
8.15 am with Crown
8.30 am with Maruti Express
8.30 am with Sri Rejeki
9 am with Angel Billabong Fast Cruise
10 am with Maruti Express
10.45 am with El Rey Junior
11.15 am with Dwi Manunggal
11.15 am with Crown
1 pm with Sri Rejeki
2 pm with Angel Billabong Fast Cruise
3 pm with El Rey Junior
3.15 pm with Crown
3.30 pm with Dwi Manunggal
4 pm with Maruti Express
4.30 pm with Angel Billabong Fast Cruise
5.30 pm with Angel Billabong Fast Cruise
5.45 pm with Dwi Manunggal
From Sanur to Buyuk/Sampalan
8 am with S’Gening Fast Boat
8 am with Caspla
8.15 am with Idola Express
8.15 am with Mola Mola Express
10.30 am with Idola Express
4 pm with Caspla
5 pm with Mola Mola Express
5.30 pm with S’Gening Fast Boat
From Kusamba to Nusa Penida
6.30 am with SekarJaya (Sampalan)
7.30 am with SekarJaya (Sampalan)
8 am with Maruti Express (Toyapakeh)
8 am with SekarJaya (Sampalan)
12.30 pm with SekarJaya (Sampalan)
2 pm with Maruti Express (Toyapakeh)
4 pm with SekarJaya (Sampalan)
4.30 pm with Maruti Express (Toyapakeh)
How to get from Nusa Penida to Gili Islands?
Several fast boat companies also offer connections to or from Gili Islands. In particular the company Eka Jaya. Before the coronavirus crisis there were 3 departures per day. Tickets booking is at the small port of Toyapakeh, along the beach. A small boat will take you to a platform located between the islands of Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Ceningan. From there a fast boat will take you to Gili Trawangan. Directly if you’re lucky in about two hours. Or with a stop at Padang Bai if you are less.
The Golden Queen and BlueWater Express companies also provide the connection but I have never tried them.
Blue Water also liaises with Lombok.
Other ways to get to Nusa Penida
It is also possible to reach Nusa Penida by ferry from Padang Bai, especially if you want to travel with your scooter (but it is normally easy to rent a scooter in Nusa Penida for a price slightly higher than in Bali).
In the 1950s the designer Bob de Moor created a cartoon series dedicated to the adventurer Barelli. The arrival on the island was then sailing. The ferry should go a little faster … or not, because it leaves often with a lot of delay …
There are also public and private boat connections from Nusa Lembongan. The price is usually 60 000 IDR per person for a one way ticket.